Representing the Mets at the MLB Futures Game on Sunday afternoon was first baseman Ryan Clifford who entered the game as a defensive replacement in the fifth inning and worked a walk in the sixth.
Clifford, of course, was acquired by New York at the 2023 trade deadline when the Mets traded Justin Verlander and cash considerations to the Houston Astros for Clifford and Drew Gilbert.
Since then, Gilbert was traded to the San Francisco Giants and has made his MLB debut while Clifford remains in the Mets’ farm system as their No. 6 ranked prospect, per SNY contributor Joe DeMayo.
Clifford, a power bat currently playing for Triple-A Syracuse, has had an up and down season in his first full season with Syracuse. The 22-year-old is slashing .196/.283/.395 with 16 home runs and 47 RBI and while the power is obvious, Clifford has struggled to make enough contact and has struck out 129 times in 86 games.
Never one to hit for a high average, Clifford is hitting a career-low this season and his .678 OPS is well-below his career average of .799 in 494 games across all minor league levels. But what Clifford lacks in batting average, he makes up for in on-base percentage and even though his walks are down this season, the lefty-swinging slugger walked in his only at-bat on Sunday against a left-hander after working the count full.
“It was great. It was fun to play in front of a big crowd and hopefully one day be back in this environment again,” Clifford said about his experience at the MLB Futures Game at Citizens Bank Park.
For Clifford to reach the next step in his development he needs to work on consistency, something he’s already well aware of.
“I think the first half was kind of up and down so I’m looking to, after the break, just maintain some consistency and stay out on the field and be healthy,” he said. “Look to cut down on strikeouts and keep the power up.”
Because of that elite power he possesses, New York, in the middle of a lost season, might be inclined to promote Clifford at some point later in the year even if he doesn’t improve with his consistency at the plate, especially because of the long-term hole at first base since the departure of Pete Alonso.
At the very least, Clifford is certainly a candidate for a September call-up to show what he can do at the big league level. In fact, earlier this year Clifford was invited to the Mets’ spring training for the first time and went 2-for-20 with seven strikeouts before being reassigned to minor league camp.
Despite the results, just being around major league players gave Clifford some great insight into being a pro and he was grateful for the opportunity.
“The clubhouse is great,” he said. “Everyone is open to helping out the younger guys and I shared a locker next to [Marcus] Semien so it was cool to be able to work with him everyday and overall just all the infielders were all kinda close to each other.”