‘Stressful’ debut as Daria Kasatkina appears as Australian player for first time

  • World No 12 switched allegiance from Russia last week
  • She overcomes nerves to beat Lauren Davis 6-1, 6-1 in Charleston

“And please welcome from Australia, Daria Kasatkina!” With those words from the MC introducing her on court at the Charleston Open on Wednesday, Australia’s latest tennis import admitted she was left feeling a bag of nerves about the advent of her new adventure.

She need not have worried. For just over an hour later, following her consummate first triumph as an Australian player, Kasatkina was soaking up the cheers of the US crowd amid the strains of “I come from a land Down Under”, while beaming a smile of relief mixed with joy.

Continue reading...

76ers' Joel Embiid will 'undergo arthroscopic surgery next week to address his left knee'

Joel Embiid had said earlier this season his troublesome left knee might require another surgery and a "lengthy recovery" process. He was not wrong.

Embiid is set to "undergo arthroscopic surgery next week to address his left knee," the 76ers announced Wednesday.

This is the same knee Embiid had meniscus surgery on in early 2024. After that, he pushed to return for last season's playoffs. While he averaged 33 points and 10.8 rebounds a game, Embiid was not his dominant self, shot 44.4%, and both he and the 76ers were bounced in the first round by the Knicks.

Embiid won gold playing for USA Basketball in the Paris Olympics, but his knee was never right this season and he played only 19 games for the Sixers. With Embiid having a setback every time he tried to ramp up and play more, the 76ers shut him down for the season back on February 28. Even with this surgery, it is likely this is a chronic condition that will limit how much Embiid can play during the regular season in the future.

Just before this season, Embiid signed a three-year, $192.9 million contract extension with Philadelphia, which kicks in next season and is fully guaranteed.

After a massively disappointing season in Philadelphia that will see them miss even the play-in, there will be calls for change. However, the max contracts for Embiid and Paul George are two of the most untradable ones in the league, and the 76ers are not going to trade Tyrese Maxey. While Philadelphia has some hard questions to answer about who to bring back next season — the Sixers want to re-sign Kelly Oubre, Quentin Grimes and Guerschon Yabusele but likely can't afford all three and staying under the second apron of the luxury tax — they are largely going to run it back next season and hope for better health and a bounce-back year.

One where Embiid plays far more than 19 games.

Tomas Hertl Returns To Golden Knights' Practice In Non-Contact Jersey

Vegas Golden Knights center Tomas Hertl (48) celebrates after scoring a third goal against the Los Angeles Kings during the third period at T-Mobile Arena. Mandatory Credit: Stephen R. Sylvanie-Imagn Images

Vegas Golden Knights center Tomas Hertl practiced today in a non-contact jersey for the first time since suffering his injury against the Tampa Bay Lightning on Mar. 23.

The initial reaction and news that broke was disheartening, with some reports saying that Hertl's chances of returning before the playoffs were slim. Twice Hertl was announced out for the remainder of the week but todays news was the first bit of positive news.

Returning in non-contact is the first step in the return process, the next step will be practicing with contact at least once. The Golden Knights are back in action on Thursday when they host the league-leading Winnipeg Jets. 

The timeline following the injury has been unclear to both the fans and the organization.

"I’m sure he wants to be around his teammates," coach Bruce Cassidy said. "He’s been putting the work in. We weren’t sure how it was going to come along, but good to see him back out there."

Cassidy has ruled out Hertl for the next three games, but they'll be taking it day-by-day following those games. Allowing Hertl to get some game action before the beginning of the playoffs will bode well for the 31-year-old. 

Stay updated with the most interesting Golden Knights stories, analysis, breaking news and more! Tap the star to add us to your favourites on Google News to never miss a story.

Freshman Jeremiah Fears declares for NBA draft after one standout season at Oklahoma

Jeremiah Fears has declared for the NBA draft after one standout season at Oklahoma.

Fears made the announcement on a social media post Wednesday. The 6-foot-4 guard is projected by many to be a lottery pick. He averaged 17.1 points, 4.1 rebounds and 4.1 assists this season and helped the Sooners reach the NCAA Tournament.

“This year has been an incredible journey, and I am grateful for all the love and support I have received from the OU fan base!” he said in a statement on social media. “I want to express my gratitude to coach (Porter) Moser and the entire coaching staff, who believed in me and allowed me to showcase my abilities at the University of Oklahoma.”

The previous high-profile freshman at Oklahoma, Trae Young, has kept in contact with Fears. Young was the No. 5 pick in the 2018 draft and was an All-Star for the Atlanta Hawks this season.

“Jeremiah is going to be a really good player,” Young said in January. “I mean, being one of the highest recruits that we’ve got at OU in a while, I’ve been keeping up.”

Fears had plenty of big games that boosted his stock. He scored 26 points against Arizona. He hit a 30-footer, drew a foul and completed a four-point play late that pushed the Sooners to an 87-86 win over Michigan in the Jumpman Invitational. He scored 22 points on 7-for-15 shooting and made four 3-pointers in a loss to No. 2 Florida.

He scored 29 points in an Southeastern Conference Tournament win over Georgia. In a loss to Connecticut in the NCAA Tournament, he scored 20 points and kept the Sooners in the game.

Athletics trade speedy outfielder Esteury Ruiz to Dodgers for minor league pitcher

WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The Athletics traded talented base-stealer and outfielder Esteury Ruiz to the reigning World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday for minor league right-hander Carlos Duran.

Ruiz, who led the American League with 67 stolen bases in 2023 for an AL rookie record, was designated for assignment by the A’s on Sunday. He is headed to join Triple-A Oklahoma City.

The A’s announced the move ahead of their series finale Wednesday against the Chicago Cubs at Sutter Health Park.

Ruiz topped Kenny Lofton’s then-record of 66 stolen bases set with Cleveland in 1992. The 26-year-old Ruiz was hindered by wrist and knee injuries last year, when he played in only 29 games and then underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in late September. He batted .254 with five home runs, 24 doubles, a triple and 47 RBIs in his only full major league season.

The Dodgers transferred right-hander Kyle Hurt to the 60-day injured list to clear room for Ruiz on the 40-man roster.

NBA investigating Ja Morant doing finger gun motions at Warriors bench

The NBA is investigating Ja Morant — who has been suspended multiple times by the NBA for waiving a gun on social media — for using a gun gesture toward the Golden State bench and in celebration of 3-pointers during the Grizzlies' loss to the Warriors Tuesday night, reports Shams Charania of ESPN.

Morant made the gun gesture multiple times during the game, usually aimed at the nearest defender, and in celebration of one of his five 3-pointers. Late in the game when the Warriors were in complete control, Golden State's Buddy Hield mocked Morant by making the gun gesture back at him. Morant saw that and made the gesture back toward the Warriors bench, with some trash talk involved.

Morant and Hield were given technical fouls for the exchange, and the league is also investigating Hield, according to the report.

Morant has used this celebration before on 3-pointers, and he is not the only player to use a gun gesture or something similar to celebrate a 3. The NBA has no rule explicitly banning a gesture, but it has fined players for things such as a throat-slashing gesture or the big balls celebration.

Because of Morant's history, the gun gesture takes on a different significance. Morant was suspended for eight games near the end of the 2022-23 season after he showed off a gun on Instagram Live while at a strip club in Colorado. Morant told NBA Commissioner Adam Silver at the time he had learned his lesson, however, that summer Morant was seen again on Instagram Live with a gun while riding in a friend's car. This time, the league suspended Morant 25 games at the start of the 2023-24 season.

If the NBA cracks down on gun gestures, it cannot just go after Morant, other players have used that celebration as well. The NBA also would be following in the footsteps of the NFL, which cracked down on finger gun celebrations (players have been fined).

'Make a name for myself': How the Lakers' Jaxson Hayes shows his worth

EL SEGUNDO, CA - APRIL 02: Los Angeles Lakers center Jaxson Hayes speaks with the media during a Lakers practice at UCLA Health Training Center on Wednesday, April 2, 2025 in El Segundo, CA.(Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times)
Lakers center Jaxson Hayes, speaking with reporters after practice Wednesday in El Segundo, said of his occasional frustration with officials, "I gotta remember they're human too and gotta just focus on the game, focus on myself." (Allen J. Schaben/Los Angeles Times)

The stakes here in early April for the Lakers are easy to see, the trophies that sit in owner Jeanie Buss’ window overlooking the practice courts a constant reminder of what the goals are for the team, particularly at a time when the talent on the roster looks formidable.

But for a player like center Jaxson Hayes, there are other things at play, the free-agent-to-be in the most important role of his career on the best team for which he's played.

“I just view it as opportunity to make a name for myself, an opportunity to go win some games and win a ring,” Hayes said after the Lakers held a rare practice Wednesday. “And I just look at it as I gotta come in locked in every day and just try to make the most out of every day, be the best version of myself.”

The best version of Hayes has been fully optimized with Luka Doncic now on the Lakers, the trade doing more than leaving Hayes as the lone option to lead the frontcourt with Anthony Davis off to Dallas. It also paired Hayes with Doncic, a maestro when it comes to playing with athletic centers who he can find space for lobs near the rim.

Hayes is averaging nearly 9.0 points per game while shooting 76.9% from the field since the trade. And even when Hayes is not scoring easy baskets, his rim-running has forced defenses to suck into the paint and create more open shots on the perimeter.

“When teams do that, man, it's either Luka's gonna get a bucket or one of the shooters gonna get a bucket,” Hayes said.

Read more:Lakers hold off Rockets to score important home win amid playoff seeding race

It’s made him one of the most important Lakers, a player with a skill set the team can’t really replace when he’s not on the court. When he missed four games in early March, the Lakers lost all four.

“I've told him this a number of times over the last week or so, he's so important for us,” coach JJ Redick said before a win over Houston on Monday. “If we're wanting to win at the highest level, he's gotta be elite. And that's not to put pressure on him because he has guys that can take that pressure off of him. But we need him on the floor. We need him to stay out of foul trouble. We need him to lay off the referees. He's gotta be locked in.”

Hayes’ frustration with the officials has been an issue as his minutes have increased, and he acknowledged he’s trying to find more empathy during emotional moments of the game.

“It's been a very big topic of discussion, and it's something I'm trying to work on,” he said. “Obviously I play with a lot of passion and I'm a very passionate player and very energetic player. So sometimes I get on the refs when I feel like they miss 'em, but I gotta remember they're human too and gotta just focus on the game, focus on myself. So that's been a big point of emphasis for us and just leaving them alone and focus on myself.”

Playoff preview?

The Lakers host Golden State on Thursday, the first time the teams meet since both squads reconfigured their rosters.

Since acquiring Jimmy Butler from Miami, the Warriors (44-31) have rocketed up the standings and could be a first-round opponent for the Lakers (46-29).

Stephen Curry had 52 points, including 12 three-pointers, Tuesday in a win over Memphis.

“Jimmy's just such a competitor and everyone knows that,” Hayes said. “We see what he's done with Miami the past few years, so just changed the whole game. We gotta deal with him and Draymond [Green], two very big competitors. And obviously Steph is Steph.

“Yeah, it definitely brings a lot of differences and more energy to the game.”

Sign up for our weekly newsletter on all things Lakers.

This story originally appeared in Los Angeles Times.

Wheeler dominates as Phillies collect series win over Rockies

Wheeler dominates as Phillies collect series win over Rockies originally appeared on NBC Sports Philadelphia

Zack Wheeler took the mound Wednesday at Citizens Bank Park for his first home start of the season, where he dominated for seven innings, allowing one run on three hits.

The Phillies’ ace collected his first win in 2025 with a 5-1 feat over the Rockies and put a bow on the outing with his 26th-career double-digit strikeout game (10).

What, did you expect anything different?

Rob Thomson certainly knows it’s the standard at this point in Wheeler’s career.

“He was great,” the Phillies manager said after the win. “It seems like the same thing every night, you know?”

The only standout was Rockies catcher Hunter Goodman hitting a home run off of Phillies starting pitching in back-to-back games. The Rockies have two runs through two games in this series — and they both belong to him.

Now 4-1 on the young season, the Phillies secured back-to-back series wins to open their 2025 campaign. It marks the 20th time in franchise history.

Slowly — and emphasis on slowly — but surely, the offense is finding ways to score against opposing starting pitchers. Prior to Wednesday, 23 of the Phillies’ 25 runs came against bullpen arms.

The club added to that production against Rockies left-hander, Kyle Freeland, who came into the game with a 0.00 ERA after pitching six scoreless innings to open his season against the Rays.

After an Alec Bohm single a la torpedo bat in the fourth inning, Kyle Schwarber kept his early hot streak alive with an RBI double. It’s the first time the Phillies scored first through five games.

Schwarber crossed the plate shortly after, when J.T. Realmuto dribbled a knuckle curve a few feet out of the batter’s box.

Aggression at the plate, awareness on the base paths and complete consistency early on has shown it doesn’t matter where Schwarber’s name is penciled in the lineup — the designated hitter is going to produce.

He’s currently leading the club in runs batted in (7), home runs (3) and runs (5 — tied with Bryson Stott).

But at the moment, what is somehow more impressive, is the heater Edmundo Sosa is on.

Sosa made his first start at second base this season and collected a mere three hits and two RBI. He now has four consecutive multi-hit games and is leading the team in hits (9).

It’s a good, yet difficult situation to be in when a bench player is producing at this caliber. He started in place of Trea Turner for three games while the shortstop was dealing with a hip issue — he’s now back. He started in place of Bryson Stott today with the club facing off against a lefty — that won’t be the case for the next handful of games. What’s a manager to do?

“I’m going to call MLB and see if we can play 10,” Thomson jokingly replied when asked if he’s going to try to get Sosa in the lineup for Thursday’s series finale against the Rockies.

It doesn’t hurt to ask, right?

There is still cause for concern regarding the lineup and the inability to do more damage against opposing starters. In the fifth inning, they loaded the bases with no outs in the heart of the order — and left them stranded with three consecutive punch outs from Bryce Harper, Alec Bohm and Schwarber.

But when you’re finding ways to win this early and often to start the season — a problem like this can get tossed to the wayside … for now.

Golden Knights Sign NCAA Prospect To Entry-Level Contract

Michigan Wolverines forward Jackson Hallum (21) skates against Penn State during a Big Ten Tournament quarter final game at Yost Arena. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-Imagn Images

The Vegas Golden Knights have signed Jackson Hallum to a two-year, entry-level contract.

The 22-year-old played three seasons at the University of Michigan, scoring 17 goals and 42 points in 84 games. His junior season saw him set a career-high in goals, scoring eight goals and 17 points in 36 games. 

The Golden Knights selected Hallum in the third round (91st overall) in the 2020 NHL Draft. Prior to joining the Wolverines, Hallum recorded 29 goals and 70 points in 62 games in his final season in the USHL

Listed at 6'0, 170 lbs, Hallum is known for his speed and was considered one of the fastest skaters in his draft class. He's aggressive on the forecheck, willing to throw a big hit to earn the puck back.

The left-handed winger will join the Henderson Silver Knights in the AHL for their final eight games of the season. Hallum is the second NCAA prospect the Golden Knights have signed, the first being Trevor Connelly. The Silver Knights have struggled for quite some time and the Golden Knights organization looks to be beefing the roster up with prospects. Mathieu Cataford is another forward who is likely to join following the conclusion of his season. 

Stay updated with the most interesting Golden Knights stories, analysis, breaking news and more! Tap the star to add us to your favourites on Google News to never miss a story.

Golden Knights Sign Trevor Connelly To Entry-Level ContractGolden Knights Sign Trevor Connelly To Entry-Level ContractThe Vegas Golden Knights have signed top prospect Trevor Connelly to a three-year, entry-level contract.

Manchester City 2-0 Leicester, Brighton 0-3 Aston Villa and more: Premier League – as it happened

A superb goal from Sandro Tonali lit up the night, while Manchester City’s fans turned up late and their opponents didn’t turn up at all

Danny Mills, watching the Manchester City game, says he is “confused” by a Leicester side that is “almost waving a white flag”.

Ten minutes into the Manchester City game, and a load of fans are just coming in. The protest seems to have had decent numbers, even if the majority of supporters – certainly in the stand that runs along the side of the pitch opposite the TV cameras – were in their seats before kick-off.

Continue reading...