European football: Bayern hold on to win as Leverkusen waste two-goal lead

  • Bayern Munich beat Augsburg 3-2 after leading 3-0

  • Bayer Leverkusen held 3-3 at Werder Bremen

Bayern Munich almost imploded in their 3-2 Bundesliga victory at Augsburg , conceding two goals for the second consecutive match after going 3-0 up soon after the break.

Bayern’s back line looked vulnerable, just as it had in Wednesday’s German Cup first round win over third-tier Wehen Wiesbaden in which they conceded two goals and needed a stoppage-time winner to advance.

Continue reading...

Juventus condemn racist abuse of their US midfielder Weston McKennie

  • Juve say remarks came from Parma fans after match

  • Players have been racially abused across Europe

USA midfielder Weston McKennie was subjected to racist abuse after Juventus completed a 2-0 season-opening home win over Parma in Serie A, the Italian club said on Sunday.

Juventus posted a statement on social media saying McKennie was the target of “discriminatory racist remarks by individuals in the away section” while he was warming down with teammates.

Continue reading...

McTominay and De Bruyne gel for new-look Napoli but Milan let down Modric | Nicky Bandini

Serie A champions show fresh tricks in opening win but Milan suffer at hands of Schwarzenegger-inspired defender

The new Serie A season was 17 minutes old and already it had started to look like the previous one: Matteo Politano crossing and Scott McTominay scoring, just as they did in Napoli’s title-sealing victory over Cagliari three months ago. Even their positions were practically identical, the Italian cutting in from the right as the Scotsman attacked the six-yard box.

McTominay’s finish was less dramatic this time around, a header instead of a scissor-kick, but he dispatched it with equal conviction. Serie A’s Most Valuable Player in 2024-25, scoring the league’s first goal of 2025-26. “Winning the Scudetto changes nothing,” he had said in one interview earlier this month. “We need to recapture and maintain that mentality we found last year.”

Continue reading...

European football: Mbappé and Vinícius fire Real Madrid past Oviedo

  • La Liga newcomers beaten 3-0 at home

  • David and Vlahovic give Juventus victory

Real Madrid claimed a 3-0 La Liga win at promoted Real Oviedo on Sunday, with Kylian Mbappé scoring in each half before Vinícius Júnior added a late third to seal the match.

Mbappé put Real ahead in the 37th minute after Aurélien Tchouaméni won the ball off Leander Dendoncker in midfield and quickly fed Arda Guler. He slipped a pass to the Frenchman who turned sharply on the edge of the box and drilled a low shot into the net.

Continue reading...

European football: McTominay and De Bruyne power Napoli to win over Sassuolo

  • Milan slip up in home defeat against Cremonese

  • Aubameyang scores double in Marseille romp; Atlético held

Napoli launched their Serie A season in style with a 2-0 win at Sassuolo, as Scott McTominay powered in a first-half header before Kevin De Bruyne curled home a free-kick after the break.

The former Manchester United midfielder McTominay bulleted a header into the net from Matteo Politano’s curling cross after just 17 minutes to put Napoli ahead. De Bruyne, who moved to Italy after his Manchester City contract expired, doubled the advantage after 57 minutes, bending a free-kick from a tight angle over the crowded box and into the far bottom corner. McTominay told Dazn: “It’s an honour to have De Bruyne in the team. I’m the one who has to learn from him, not the other way around.”

Continue reading...

Napoli and Conte stand as a rare point of continuity before Serie A restart

Twelve clubs have changed manager, including six of the top eight, in a season with more questions than certainties

It did not take long after Napoli had won Serie A in May for some journalists to ask whether their manager would desert them. Antonio Conte had grumbled for months about transfer decisions. Even in this moment of triumph, his body language around the owner, Aurelio De Laurentiis, remained frosty.

Recent history hung over Napoli. Luciano Spalletti stepped down after leading the Partenopei to a Scudetto in 2023, riding off into the sunset in his newly pimped out Fiat Panda and citing a “personality clash” with De Laurentiis. But Conte is his own man with his own imperatives. Three months later, he stands as a rare point of continuity in a league determined to eschew it. Twelve of 20 clubs have changed manager – a drop, admittedly, from 14 last summer – including six of the top eight finishers.

Continue reading...

Ademola Lookman goes on strike at Atalanta over ‘broken promises’ for transfer

  • Club refusing to sell to Serie A rivals Inter

  • Centre-forward complains of ‘poor treatment’

Ademola Lookman has gone on strike as he attempts to force through a move to Inter, but Atalanta have insisted he will not be sold to another Italian club.

The Nigeria forward did not attend pre-season training for the second day in a row after handing in a transfer request last weekend, when Lookman also published a statement in which he accused Atalanta of “broken promises”. An improved Inter bid worth up to €45m (£32.1m) including add-ons was rejected last week after a €40m offer for the 27-year-old was turned down.

Continue reading...

Luka Modric’s Milan move proves that a slower Serie A still has plenty of cachet | Jonathan Wilson

Ballon d’Or winner becomes the latest veteran, after Kevin De Bruyne, to be pulled in by Italian game’s leisurely pace of life

Luka Modric will turn 40 in September. He has played 930 games over the course of a career and has won seven league titles and six Champions Leagues. He even broke the Messi-Ronaldo duopoly to claim the Ballon d’Or after inspiring Croatia to the World Cup final in 2018.

He rarely lasts a full 90 minutes these days, didn’t start a game during the Club World Cup and was spared the indignity of coming on for his Madrid farewell with the semi-final against Paris Saint-Germain long since lost. He could have retired five years ago and still been one of the most respected players in the history of the game but, his eyes on next summer’s World Cup, when his contract at Real Madrid expired Modric chose to join Milan.

Continue reading...

Milan’s Serie A home fixture against Como could be played in Perth, Australia

  • Italian FA gives approval for February fixture to be moved

  • Game would be first in major European league held abroad

Milan’s home game against Como in the 2025-26 Serie A campaign could become the first major European domestic league fixture played outside its home country, as plans to move the fixture to Australia took a step forward.

Italy’s football federation (FIGC) has given the green light for the match to be played in Perth – some 8,500 miles away from Milan – next February. The proposal moves European football into uncharted territory after previous requests to stage domestic league matches abroad were knocked back by authorities.

Continue reading...

The year of Napoli and Scott McTominay: the Serie A season review

The Scottish influence inspired title winners in Naples, Inter blew up and Claudio Ranieri enjoyed his Roman return

The season has barely ended and already it is clear Serie A will look very different next term. Five of the league’s top 10 sides have parted ways with their managers and a sixth, Claudio Ranieri, is moving upstairs at Roma. More changes may soon follow, with Igor Tudor’s future at Juventus uncertain and Como’s Cesc Fàbregas drawing attention from richer clubs – including the runners-up, Inter, who need a replacement for Simone Inzaghi.

Could we equal the turnover of last summer, when 14 out of 20 teams got a new coach? It’s not impossible, especially with several lower-half teams and their tacticians still exploring the options available.

Continue reading...

‘I will never forget you’: Simone Inzaghi leaves his post as Inter head coach

  • Inzaghi departs after heavy Champions League final loss

  • Led Inter to Serie A title during four-year spell at club

Simone Inzaghi has left his position as manager of Inter, the Serie A club confirmed on Tuesday.

The 49-year-old is departing three days after a humiliating 5-0 loss to Paris Saint-Germain in the Champions League final and with Inter having missed out on the domestic title, to Napoli, by one point. The Nerazzurri also lost 4-1 to city rivals Milan in the semi-finals of the Coppa Italia.

Continue reading...

Scott McTominay and Napoli continue title celebrations with Pope Leo meeting

  • Italian champions visit Vatican and meet with pontiff

  • Pope denies being a Roma supporter during audience

Pope Leo XIV welcomed Italy’s newly crowned Serie A champions Napoli to the Vatican on Tuesday, joking about his own football allegiances.

Napoli won their fourth Scudetto on Friday with a 2-0 home victory over Cagliari, edging out Inter by one point in a nail-biting end to the season. The team, captained by the Italy international Giovanni Di Lorenzo and including player of the season Scott McTominay, arrived for their papal audience a day after a triumphant open-top bus parade through central Naples.

Continue reading...

Juve do just enough to reach Champions League. Will Conte join them there? | Nicky Bandini

There are interesting pieces to build on, but it appears unlikely Igor Tudor will be taking team forward

Serie A’s title race ended on Friday night, but the drama certainly didn’t. Still to be decided were the final qualifiers for all three European competitions and which teams would join Monza in dropping out of the top division. The six games that could affect those outcomes kicked off simultaneously on Sunday. Within 70 seconds, Daniel Fila had given 19th-placed Venezia the lead over fourth-placed Juventus. A tone-setter for an evening of twists and turns.

Juventus thought they had equalised almost immediately at the Stadio Pier Luigi Penzo, Alberto Costa driving a brilliant half-volley in from the edge of the area. But he handled in the buildup. Roma took the lead away to Torino. One point behind the Bianconeri at the start of play, they were on course for the last Champions League spot.

Continue reading...

Conte masterminds ‘most unexpected’ scudetto with single-minded Napoli | Nicky Bandini

Few expected the team to challenge this season but the club held off Inter to spark Neapolitan fireworks that could put Mount Vesuvius to shame

Antonio Conte had asked a city not to get ahead of itself, not to celebrate this Serie A title before its team earned it. “I don’t want to see flags here and there with numbers on,” he said after the draw with Parma in the penultimate round. Everybody knew what he meant: Napoli were in touching distance of their fourth scudetto but, for a superstitious manager, now was not the moment to say it out loud.

Supporters held off for as long as they could. Not until the final moments of Napoli’s 2-0 win over Cagliari on Friday did the giant white sheet come cascading down the stands of the Stadio Diego Armando Maradona with an enormous black “4” in the middle. Green and red flares were set off either side to create the colours of the Italian flag. The same that appear on a scudetto badge.

Continue reading...

Serie A title decider: Napoli win the Scudetto to deny Inter – as it happened

Scott McTominay and Romelu Lukaku scored the goals against Cagliari that claimed a second title in three years

Caledonia’s Simon McMahon gets in touch: “Gilmour and McTominay starting for Napoli and on the verge of winning Serie A is just insane, John. Really hope they do it, got the pizza and beers in, COME ON NAPOLI!!!”

Naples is getting game ready, too. Mathías Olivera is being given a penant for his 100th game. The sound of Live Is Life can be heard at the Diego Armando Maradona.

Continue reading...