PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — The New York Mets will play their first Grapefruit League game of 2026 on Saturday afternoon at Clover Park.
Brandon Waddell will be on the mound for the spring opener and some notable names will be noticeably absent.
But there have been some clues about what could potentially come down the line for the Mets before the upcoming season. There are some intriguing names, noteworthy injuries and position battles to watch.
Here are three way-too-early predictions for the 2026 season about two weeks into spring training:
Craig Kimbrel wins a bullpen spot
There appears to be about two open spots in the Mets bullpen as Grapefruit League action begins.
The unit is headed by Devin Williams, Luke Weaver and Brooks Raley and fortified following the trade with the Brewers that brought in Tobias Myers.
Manager Carlos Mendoza said Wednesday that if Myers is healthy, he's on the team. They also added Luis Garcia on a one-year deal in January.
The Mets signed Craig Kimbrel to a minor league deal two weeks before spring training with a chance to earn a major league deal.
"We like what we saw toward the end of last year. There's a reason why we brought him in here," Mendoza said. "What we want to see is the guy that he's been throughout his career. That breaking ball is elite. He attacks. He's got that mentality that he knows what it takes to get three outs. He's willing to pitch in any role."
Kimbrel has made a strong impression in the early going with his quality demeanor in the clubhouse. He appears to be moving past the back injuries that have plagued him in recent years and has added a cutter and changeup to his repertoire.
He had a strong finish to 2025 with the Astros, striking out 16 in 11 innings and allowing three earned runs. If he can back up that success, he could be an early player for the Mets.
Francisco Lindor returns in time but Ronny Mauricio looms
It is a near impossible feat to pry Francisco Lindor from the baseball diamond.
The Mets shortstop has been nursing a surgically-repaired left hand this spring but continues to venture out to the diamond, station himself behind the infield dirt or serve as support for the coaching staff during drills by catching with his off hand.
Mendoza, Lindor and David Stearns are optimistic that he can be ready for Opening Day, with a six-week recovery including time to ramp up and strengthen the hand. Any minor setbacks would hamper that goal, and with a 162-game season ahead, would it be worth sending Lindor out there if the power is not back fully?
The club has options there, with Ronny Mauricio among the players receiving reps at the position in Lindor's absence. Bo Bichette continues to get comfortable at third base early in spring training.
Mendoza has lamented the fact that Mauricio seemed stuck behind a logjam of infielders last season, but this could be the chance for the 24-year-old infielder to see major league action early in the 2026 season. And he has one minor league option available to use once Lindor is fully healthy.
Carson Benge begins season in Triple A
On the back fields during live batting practice, Carson Benge has put a few dents in the roof of the garage beyond right field.
Benge's presence was brought up by Juan Soto when he discussed shifting over left field. There are clearly lofty expectations for what the 23-year-old, 2024 first-round pick can provide.
But the truth of the matter is that despite a strong set of tools, including a "plus-plus arm" according to Mendoza, Benge has only played 24 games in Triple A. And while the underlying metrics are more positive, he was 16-for-90 in action for Syracuse.
"We want to see quality at-bats. We want him to see him get into the outfield. It's also gonna depend on what some other guys do, right?" David Stearns said at the offset of spring training. "It's not all going to be dependent on how Carson looks.
"We're not gonna get too preoccupied with surface line results one way or anther. We'll make the best decision that we can on Opening Day, recognizing that Opening Day is one day and rosters can change pretty quickly."
That suggests that the Mets will not be rushing Benge into the major leagues if they can avoid it. The front office brought in MJ Melendez right before spring training and Mike Tauchman is reportedly on the way to further give the Mets backup in the corner outfield early in the offseason.
"He's got a really good arm. Watching him yesterday making some throws, he is a plus-plus arm," Mendoza said. "A lot of the things that we were
"I think evaluations in spring training are always a little bit fraught and we know that. We want to see quality at-bats. We want him to see him get into the outfield. It's also gonna depend on what some other guys do, right? It's not all going to be dependent on how Carson looks. We're not gonna get too preoccupied with surface line results one way or anther. We'll make the best decision that we can on Opening Day, recognizing that Opening Day is one day and rosters can change pretty quickly.
"I want him to be himself. That's the conversation I already had with him. Go out there and be yourself. I know there's a lot of noise and you're gonna get a real opportunity here but don't try to do too much, understanding that you're going to go 0-for at times. You're probably going to drop a fly ball, especially in spring training with the high skies and windy conditions. Don't let nothing bother you. Quality of the at-bats, the way he's competing, how he's going to bounce back after a tough game, the way he carries himself, the interation with players. I want to see him play the outfield. I think it comes down to quality at-bats and how he bounces back when it's not easy.
This article originally appeared on NorthJersey.com: NY Mets spring training 2026 bold predictions, schedule and news