• Portuguese says he will not end his career at Manchester United• ‘I am still a coach with the desire to do new things,’ Mourinho saysJosé Mourinho has ruled out spending the rest of his career at Manchester United while talking up the “special” proje…
Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/15/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-paris-saint-germain
• Manchester City believe the forward will be out for two-four weeks
• ‘He’s going to be off the pitch for a month and a half,’ says Donato Villani
Sergio Agüero will be out of action for six weeks, following his car crash in Amsterdam, according to Argentina’s team doctor Donato Villani.
Manchester City believe their top scorer will be out for between two and four weeks after breaking a rib in the road accident last Thursday.
Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/03/sergio-aguero-injury-six-weeks-manchester-city-claims-argentina-doctor
• ‘Halfway through the season, maybe we can see what’s possible’
• Southampton defender linked with move to Liverpool
Virgil van Dijk has risked his “reintegration” at Southampton by insisting he has “no regrets” over his failed move to Liverpool and reiterated his desire to leave, possibly in January.
The Holland centre-half handed in a transfer request in August and made it plain he wanted a move to Anfield. Southampton reported Liverpool to the Premier League for an alleged illegal approach as the transfer collapsed and the Merseyside club were forced into a grovelling apology. In a bid to defuse the situation, they also promised they would back away from the former Celtic player.
Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/03/virgil-van-dijk-southampton-holland-liverpool-transfer-no-regrets
• Defender says he is ‘incredibly ambitious’ and wants European football
• Hits back at suggestions he refused to train for the club
Virgil van Dijk has handed in a transfer request as he looks to force his way out of Southampton.
The centre-half, who has been linked with moves to Liverpool, Manchester City and Chelsea during the summer transfer window, says he is ‘insulted’ by suggestions that he has refused to train for the club. Last month, the 26-year-old saw a dream move to Liverpool collapse with Southampton reporting the Anfield club to the Premier League for an alleged illegal approach. Liverpool were forced into a grovelling apology and, in a bid to defuse the situation, promised they would back away from the former Celtic man.
Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/07/virgil-van-dijk-transfer-request-southampton-liverpool-manchester-city-chelsea
• Manchester United manager praises player but hits out at Phil Jones’s Uefa ban
• Midfielder plays 45 minutes in 2-1 friendly win over Sampdoria
José Mourinho has labelled his new signing Nemanja Matic “a genius” after the midfielder made his Manchester United debut in Dublin.
Matic started for United in their 2-1 friendly win over Sampdoria at the Aviva Stadium following his £40m switch from the Premier League champions, Chelsea.
Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/02/jose-mourinho-nemanja-matic-genius-manchester-united
• Manchester City have spent more than £200 million this summer
• Spurs have yet to make a signing in the current transfer window
The Tottenham Hotspur chairman, Daniel Levy, has mocked the Premier League’s summer spending, labelling it “unsustainable”.
Spurs are yet to sign anyone for the new campaign and have let Kyle Walker leave for title rivals Manchester City – a club who have so far spent more than £200m in this transfer window. Manchester United and Chelsea have also been busy in the market, bringing in Romelu Lukaku and Álvaro Morata for big-money fees.
Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/25/tottenham-chairman-daniel-levy-mocks-unsustainable-spending
• Record fee could rise to £43.9m (€50m) with additional clauses
• Former Chelsea winger signs ‘long-term’ contract and is ‘very excited’
Liverpool have completed the £36.9m signing of Mohamed Salah from Roma. The 25-year-old has been a long-term target, with Liverpool missing out on his signature three years ago when he joined Chelsea before embarking on an underwhelming spell in the Premier League.
However, after impressing in Serie A with 29 goals in 65 appearances for Roma, the Liverpool manager, Jürgen Klopp, believes the winger has developed a more rounded game and his “incredible” pace will add depth to a squad which will be further tested this season with the challenge of a Champions League campaign.
Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/22/liverpool-transfer-deal-mohamed-salah-roma
• Fifa said in May it was looking into world-record deal for midfielder
• Reports had claimed agent Mino Raiola earned £41.3m from transfer
Manchester United have been cleared of wrongdoing in the transfer of Paul Pogba but Fifa has opened disciplinary proceedings against Juventus.
Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/20/fifa-manchester-united-paul-pogba-juventus-proceedings
• Source close to Real Madrid striker says he wants to leave Spain
• Former United man said to be furious over tax allegations
Manchester United are watching the Cristiano Ronaldo show with renewed interest after the Real Madrid striker made it plain he is “outraged” at what he feels is unfair treatment by tax authorities and is now determined to leave Spain.
The 32-year-old feels he is being singled out for disproportionate treatment after prosecutors accused him of defrauding the authorities of €14.7m. A source close to the player claims the “outraged” Portugal international “feels great indignation” following the public speculation about his tax affairs and a sense of “injustice” at the allegations – which he contests – and he has made a decision to leave the country.
Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/16/cristiano-ronaldo-manchester-united-real-madrid-tax-leave-psg
• Former Leicester City manager given special dispensation
• Italian exceeds current age limit for coaches in France
Claudio Ranieri is back in football after the French league gave Nantes permission to appoint the 65-year-old.
The former Leicester manager, who was sacked less than a season after leading them to a Premier League title, is believed to have signed a two-year deal after the Ligue de Football Professionnel gave special dispensation for the club to appoint a manager over the age of 65.
Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/13/claudio-ranieri-nantes-manager-65-year-old-leicester-city