Category Archive: -Olympics-

Olympics 2016 News For Sports Betting

Feb 13

Life as a Muslim-American Olympic champion: ‘Travel has become a worry’

Dalilah Muhammad brought home gold for the US in the 400m hurdles in Rio. But she describes the current political situation under Donald Trump as ‘insane’

When she slowed to a stop in the Olympic stadium on that warm night in Rio, Dalilah Muhammad knew life would never quite be the same.

The New Yorker had just won Olympic gold in the 400m hurdles, catapulting herself into a limelight she never anticipated, offering her a platform she never expected. In the six months since, she has kept her counsel on the issues dividing her country, but now she feels it’s time to make her voice heard.

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/13/life-as-a-muslim-american-olympic-champion-travel-has-become-a-worry

Feb 10

Rio 2016 Olympic venues abandoned and derelict six months after Games – video

Olympic venues used during Rio 2016 last summer lie in disrepair with extensive damage, just six months after the end of the Games. The famous old football stadium the Maracanã has been unused for months with its pitch currently unfit for play and many of its seats ripped out. Swimming and aquatics venues have been abandoned meanwhile as the gold course is struggling to survive

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/video/2017/feb/10/rio-2016-olympic-venues-abandoned-derelict-video

Feb 10

Rio’s Olympic venues, six months on – in pictures

Six months after hosting South America’s first-ever Olympic and Paralympic Games, the Rio de Janeiro venues – some of which have been looted – sit mainly idle and already in disrepair, raising questions about a legacy that organisers promised would benefit the Brazilian city and its residents

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/gallery/2017/feb/10/rios-olympic-venues-six-months-on-in-pictures

Feb 10

Rio Olympic venues already falling into a state of disrepair

  • Six months on from Games, key venues lay empty in Rio de Janeiro
  • Maracana Stadium looted and damaged, golf course closed down

Just six months on from the 2016 Games, a number of Rio’s major Olympic venues have fallen into a state of disrepair. Since the closing ceremony in late August, the Maracana Stadium has been looted, the key Games precinct has been shut down and so has the city’s Olympic golf course.

The most alarming visual deterioration can be seen at the Maracana, where worms have damaged the now-threadbare playing surface, windows inside the stadium have been smashed, copper wire stolen from walls and ceilings, and a reported 10% of the 78,000 seats have been torn up. Late in January local electric utility company Light cut off power to the stadium in response to unpaid bills, claimed to be in the region of three million reals (USD$940,000).

Related: Abandoned Athens Olympic 2004 venues, 10 years on – in pictures

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/10/rio-olympic-venues-already-falling-into-a-state-of-disrepair

Feb 08

Japanese Olympic Committee president questioned over 2020 bid allegations

• French authorities investigating payments to Singaporean consultancy
• Head of Black Tidings agency had links to Papa Massata Diack

Tokyo prosecutors have questioned the president of the Japanese Olympic Committee over allegations that dubious payments were made by the bid team for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Tsunekazu Takeda said he was questioned last week and that he told prosecutors what he “has said so far”, indicating that he denied any wrongdoing, Kyodo news agency reported on Wednesday.

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/08/japanese-olympic-committee-2020-bid-allegations

Feb 07

Victoria Williamson: ‘You could see my bare spine. The skin had torn away’ | Donald McRae

The 23-year-old sprint cyclist suffered horrific injuries in a mid-race collision last year but has her sights on next year’s Commonwealth Games and Tokyo 2020

“How lucky is that?” Victoria Williamson says as her eyes widen in wonder again. The sprint cyclist has already explained how she broke her neck, her back and her pelvis in a terrible accident on a track in Rotterdam just over a year ago but, now, she lingers over her good fortune in avoiding total paralysis from the neck down.

Related: Nicole Cooke ‘sceptical’ of Bradley Wiggins and hits out at ‘sexist’ cycling

All I remember is lining up against the fence before I raced. The next thing I was in and out of consciousness

Related: How David Millar’s farewell film became a rage against the fading light | Richard Williams

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/07/victoria-williamson-track-cycling-back-pelvis-neck-injuries

Feb 01

James Ellington back on his feet and says he will be back on track in 2018

• Sprinter takes first steps two weeks after serious motorcycle crash
• 31-year-old broke both legs and his pelvis in accident in Tenerife

James Ellington is determined to return to action next year after the British Olympic sprinter took his first steps since breaking his pelvis and both legs in a motorcycle accident.

The 31-year-old, who competed for Team GB in the 100m and 4x100m relay at the Olympics in August, was riding pillion with his team-mate Nigel Levine, who represented Britain in the 4x400m relay in Rio, when their bike was involved in an accident with a car in Tenerife.

First proper steps today with a fractured pelvis, fractured left leg and completely broken right leg, can’t believe the progress so far, the hospital physio thought I would be in a wheelchair for at least 6 weeks before I could even attempt this. I will be back 2018.

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/01/james-ellington-motorcycle-crash-tenerife

Feb 01

James Ellington back on his feet and says he will be back on track in 2018

• Sprinter takes first steps two weeks after serious motorcycle crash
• 31-year-old broke both legs and his pelvis in accident in Tenerife

James Ellington is determined to return to action next year after the British Olympic sprinter took his first steps since breaking his pelvis and both legs in a motorcycle accident.

The 31-year-old, who competed for Team GB in the 100m and 4x100m relay at the Olympics in August, was riding pillion with his team-mate Nigel Levine, who represented Britain in the 4x400m relay in Rio, when their bike was involved in an accident with a car in Tenerife.

First proper steps today with a fractured pelvis, fractured left leg and completely broken right leg, can’t believe the progress so far, the hospital physio thought I would be in a wheelchair for at least 6 weeks before I could even attempt this. I will be back 2018.

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/01/james-ellington-motorcycle-crash-tenerife

Feb 01

James Ellington back on his feet and says he will be back on track in 2018

• Sprinter takes first steps two weeks after serious motorcycle crash
• 31-year-old broke both legs and his pelvis in accident in Tenerife

James Ellington is determined to return to action next year after the British Olympic sprinter took his first steps since breaking his pelvis and both legs in a motorcycle accident.

The 31-year-old, who competed for Team GB in the 100m and 4x100m relay at the Olympics in August, was riding pillion with his team-mate Nigel Levine, who represented Britain in the 4x400m relay in Rio, when their bike was involved in an accident with a car in Tenerife.

First proper steps today with a fractured pelvis, fractured left leg and completely broken right leg, can’t believe the progress so far, the hospital physio thought I would be in a wheelchair for at least 6 weeks before I could even attempt this. I will be back 2018.

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/01/james-ellington-motorcycle-crash-tenerife

Feb 01

James Ellington back on his feet and says he will be back on track in 2018

• Sprinter takes first steps two weeks after serious motorcycle crash
• 31-year-old broke both legs and his pelvis in accident in Tenerife

James Ellington is determined to return to action next year after the British Olympic sprinter took his first steps since breaking his pelvis and both legs in a motorcycle accident.

The 31-year-old, who competed for Team GB in the 100m and 4x100m relay at the Olympics in August, was riding pillion with his team-mate Nigel Levine, who represented Britain in the 4x400m relay in Rio, when their bike was involved in an accident with a car in Tenerife.

First proper steps today with a fractured pelvis, fractured left leg and completely broken right leg, can’t believe the progress so far, the hospital physio thought I would be in a wheelchair for at least 6 weeks before I could even attempt this. I will be back 2018.

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/feb/01/james-ellington-motorcycle-crash-tenerife

Feb 01

John Franklin Lock obituary

My friend John Franklin Lock, who has died of motor neurone disease aged 62, was given the freedom of his home borough, Newham, last October for his lifetime of work on the regeneration of the East End of London, notably helping to ensure sustainable benefits from the 2012 Olympic Games.

John had 30 years’ experience in health, education, arts, urban regeneration, sport, technology, social enterprise, volunteering and business development. He worked in publishing, with Newman Books, until becoming constituency manager for Tony Banks, elected as Labour MP for Newham North West in 1983, after a bitter selection struggle.

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/feb/01/john-franklin-lock-obituary

Feb 01

Nothing says ‘come and get it’ to the IOC as making like an autocracy | Marina Hyde

LA’s mayor may have accused Donald Trump of ‘fanning the flames of hatred’ – but one man’s flames of hatred is another’s flames of desire

Back in 1994, IOC member Dick Pound declared the only way Salt Lake City’s bid for the 2002 Winter Olympic Games would lose to Quebec City was because Utah’s capital had “no more rabbits to pull out of the hat”. Yup, I know – bless Dick for thinking that’s how Olympic bids are won.

Working on more conventional lines, however, the Salt Lake City bid president and his senior vice-president shipped $1,200 worth of rabbits (trivia buffs may care to know that amounted to 12 rabbits) to Pound. Dick and his wife declined to accept the rabbits, though other IOC members were rather less circumspect about receiving certain deliveries/land deals/IOUs for full college tuition for their kids. Naturally, Salt Lake City did end up winning.

Related: Los Angeles Olympic bid likely to survive Trump immigration order furore

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/feb/01/donald-trump-winter-olympics-2024-bid-los-angeles

Jan 31

Japan urged to go smoke-free by 2020 Tokyo Olympics

Campaigners call for full ban on smoking in bars and restaurants to comply with IOC requirement to stage healthy Games

Anti-smoking campaigners in Japan have called on the government to make restaurants and bars smoke-free in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics and end the country’s reputation as a smoker’s paradise.

Japan is expected to pass legislation soon that will ban smoking in or near public buildings such as schools or hospitals, but the bill says the crackdown will apply to restaurants only in principle.

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/31/japan-urged-to-go-smoke-free-by-2020-tokyo-olympics

Jan 31

US Olympic Committee: foreign athletes will not be affected by Trump travel ban

  • Athletes to get expedited access for international competitions, say USOC
  • President Donald Trump has banned visitors from Muslim-majority countries

The US Olympic Committee has been told by Donald Trump’s government that the ban on visitors from some Muslim-majority countries should not impact athletes traveling to the United States for international events.

USOC leaders have received a number of inquiries about the impact of Trump’s travel ban and said the US government told them it would work to ensure foreign athletes get expedited access to the US for international competitions.

Related: Los Angeles Olympic bid likely to survive Trump immigration order furore

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/31/us-olympic-committee-foreign-athletes-will-not-be-affected-by-trump-travel-ban

Jan 30

Los Angeles Olympic bid likely to survive Trump immigration order furore

Huge US TV audiences and big advertising bucks will probably prove more powerful than principles when the IOC decides the hosts of the 2024 Olympics

Barely a week after Donald Trump was elected the 45th president of the United States in November, the legendary sprinter Allyson Felix urged Olympic officials not to let the result blacken Los Angeles’ reputation during the bidding process for the 2024 Games. “Some of you may question America’s commitment to its founding principles,” she told a keynote address in Doha on 15 November. “Please don’t doubt us – we need the Games to help make our nation better, now more than ever. America’s diversity is our greatest strength.”

Related: Allyson Felix begs IOC not to let Trump win derail Los Angeles Olympic bid

Related: Jo Pavey wants parade for athletes initially denied medals by doping cheats

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/30/athletics-olympics-trump-us-immigration-travel-world-championships-los-angeles

Jan 27

World amateur boxing removes all its top judges from competitions

• CK Wu, head of Aiba, admits ‘unwelcome axis of influence’
• Aiba has sidelined all 36 referees and judges who worked at Rio Games

The world governing body for amateur boxing has permanently removed all of its so-called “five-star” judges from international competition and admitted that “a concentration of decision-making power” and “an unwelcome axis of influence” affected its judging during a hugely controversial Rio Olympics.

After the Guardian exclusively revealed concerns among senior officials over corrupt judging at Rio and a string of high-profile incidents followed at the Games, the Amateur International Boxing Association launched a four-month review in September.​

Related: Aiba sidelines all Rio Olympics boxing referees and judges amid inquiry

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/jan/27/world-amateur-boxing-aiba-removes-top-judges

Older posts «

» Newer posts