Mark Dobson

Author's details

Name: Mark Dobson
Date registered: March 12, 2015
URL: http://www.theguardian.com/football/manchestercity

Latest posts

  1. Tottenham’s chairman, Daniel Levy, mocks ‘unsustainable’ spending — July 25, 2017
  2. Football Supporters’ Federation warns against disruptive kick-off time changes — June 13, 2017
  3. Lyon’s Europa League tie with Besiktas delayed after violence erupts in stands — April 13, 2017
  4. Didier Drogba joins US side Phoenix Rising as player and co-owner — April 12, 2017
  5. Uefa made us feel ‘impotent’, says Borussia Dortmund manager — April 12, 2017

Author's posts listings

Jul 25

Tottenham’s chairman, Daniel Levy, mocks ‘unsustainable’ spending

• Manchester City have spent more than £200 million this summer
• Spurs have yet to make a signing in the current transfer window

The Tottenham Hotspur chairman, Daniel Levy, has mocked the Premier League’s summer spending, labelling it “unsustainable”. Spurs are yet to sign anyone for the new campaign and have let Kyle Walker leave for title rivals Manchester City – a club who have so far spent more than £200m in this transfer window. Manchester United and Chelsea have also been busy in the market, bringing in Romelu Lukaku and Álvaro Morata for big-money fees.

“My view is that it’s totally unsustainable,” Levy said after ringing the Nasdaq opening bell in Times Square on Spurs’ pre-season tour of the US. “I’m not sure if that’s the view of the other Premier League clubs, but certainly the prices that are being paid for other Premier League players, I can’t see it being sustainable in the long term. We’ve managed the club, we think, in a very appropriate way. We’ve invested a lot of money in physical facilities for long-term growth. So we’ve got one of the world’s best training facilities. We’ve invested over £100m in that facility.

Related: Tottenham’s Kieran Trippier hoping to steal Kyle Walker’s England shirt

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/25/tottenham-chairman-daniel-levy-mocks-unsustainable-spending

Jun 13

Football Supporters’ Federation warns against disruptive kick-off time changes

• Reports have suggested Premier League may add 7.45pm slot on Saturday
• FSF: ‘Too many games at times which make life difficult for match-going fans’

The Football Supporters’ Federation has fired a shot across the bows of broadcasters and the Premier League, warning them to stop tinkering with kick-off times or face the prospect of half-empty stadiums.

Reports have suggested the Premier League has discussed the addition of a 7.45pm slot on Saturday evenings from the 2019-20 season, which would increase the number of live games when the next broadcasting deal is negotiated.

Related: David Squires on … England’s future after winning the (U-20) World Cup

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/13/footballer-supporters-federation-warns-money-men-kick-offs

Apr 13

Lyon’s Europa League tie with Besiktas delayed after violence erupts in stands

• Crowd trouble forces fans to flee on to pitch for safety
• Europa League quarter-final first leg delayed by 45 minutes

Football was left scarred by another sickening night of violence as supporters fought in the stands and fans raced to the pitch for safety before Lyon’s Europa League tie with Besiktas.

The first leg of the quarter-final was delayed for 45 minutes after punches, projectiles and firecrackers were thrown at the Parc OL. Both teams were forced to leave the field as fans spilled on to the playing surface before kick-off, with the Lyon president, Jean-Michel Aulas, even going into the crowd in a desperate effort to calm tensions. The incident came 24 hours after some Leicester City supporters were filmed singing distasteful war songs and clashing with police before their Champions League quarter-final tie with Atlético Madrid. Lyon went on to win their match 2-1 through two late goals from Corentin Tolisso and Jérémy Morel after the former Liverpool winger Ryan Babel had put Besiktas ahead.

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/13/lyon-besiktas-europa-league-violence-crowd-trouble-ajax-celta-vigo-schalke-genk

Apr 12

Didier Drogba joins US side Phoenix Rising as player and co-owner

• ‘To own a team and be a player is unusual but it’s going to be exciting’
• Phoenix play in second tier of the American league system

The former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has joined the United Soccer League side Phoenix Rising as a player and co-owner.

The 39-year-old has not played since leaving Major League Soccer’s Montreal Impact in November but he has taken up the chance to join Phoenix’s “MLS expansion franchise ownership group”.

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/12/didier-drogba-us-side-phoenix-rising-player-co-owner-mls

Apr 12

Uefa made us feel ‘impotent’, says Borussia Dortmund manager

• Thomas Tuchel unhappy over hasty rescheduling of Champions League tie
• Monaco eventually go on to win quarter-final first leg

The Borussia Dortmund manager, Thomas Tuchel, has angrily criticised Uefa for the rescheduling of their Champions League quarter-final tie with Monaco, claiming its actions made the club feel “impotent”.

Dortmund and Monaco took to the field at the Signal Iduna Park, less than 24 hours after the original tie was postponed when three explosions went off near their team bus as they made their way to the ground on Tuesday, leaving the defender Marc Bartra needing surgery on an arm injury.

Related: Borussia Dortmund’s ‘yellow wall’ stands tall in face of attack on team

Related: Kylian Mbappe gives Monaco crucial edge against Borussia Dortmund

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/12/thomas-tuchel-dortmund-uefa-monaco-impotent-bus-attack-champions-league

Apr 12

Goalline technology given early Championship debut in play-offs

• System to become permanent Championship fixture in 2017-18 season
• Premier League has been using the technology since 2013

The Championship play-off semi-finals in May will feature goalline technology before it becomes a fixture next season.

Originally scheduled for approval at June’s English Football League annual general meeting, the use of the technology was confirmed at an extraordinary general meeting last week in order to give clubs more time to install the necessary infrastructure.

Related: Football League agrees to use goalline technology in Championship

Continue reading…

Permanent link to this article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/12/championship-playoffs-goalline-technology