The Gold Coast Football Club, nicknamed the Suns, is an Australian rules football club based on the Gold Coast, which began playing in the Australian Football League (AFL) competition for the first time in 2011. The club played its first game as a part of the AFL in the pre-season NAB Cup competition in February 2011 before beginning the season proper in April 2011.
The club is the product of a sole consortium, formerly known as “GC17”, tendering against established criteria for a licence to be the 17th club in the AFL competition. On 31 March 2009 the club was granted a provisional licence to join the AFL competition and the AFL proposed that the new club would enter the national competition in the 2011 season. The following year, during a press conference on 22 July, the club announced its new nickname, logo, club song and three new home, away and clash guernseys.
Gold Coast Suns News
- SuperCoach woes? Toughen up GOLD Coast hard man Campbell Brown will reveal his SuperCoach strategy on Fox Footy tonight.
- Suns only just warming up GOLD Coast coach Guy McKenna says the Suns are only just warming up.
- Hurley injury mars Dons win A WRIST injury to star forward Michael Hurley clouded Essendon’s 43-point win over Gold Coast last night.
- Joe sparks Dons to defeat Suns GUY McKenna has spoken plenty about weight divisions this year.
- The evolution of Ablett HOW does Gary Ablett compare to Leigh Matthews? JON ANDERSON talks to those who have known him through his career.
- Suns forget 2011 slaughter GOLD Coast coach Guy McKenna says he has not revisited the “nightmares” from the 139-point loss to Essendon in 2011.
- Hird hints at Jobe v Gazza GARY Ablett v Jobe Watson. Even James Hird gave the impression today he wanted to see that duel tomorrow.
- Suns set to roar like Bears BRISBANE announced their arrival as a rising AFL force in 1995. The Gold Coast could be making the same transition.
- The best is yet to come: O’Meara GOLD Coast young gun Jaeger O’Meara says the Suns will be a terrifying prospect for rival clubs once they put together a four-quarter performance.
- McKenna fires up Suns in wet GARY Ablett says a bake from Guy McKenna was the catalyst for the shock result that has all but nailed North Melbourne’s finals chances shut.
Gold Coast Suns FaceBook Posts