The Collingwood Football Club, nicknamed the Magpies or less formally the Pies, is an Australian rules football club which plays in the Australian Football League (AFL). Formed in 1892, the club was named after the inner-Melbourne suburb of Collingwood, and was originally based at Victoria Park in Abbotsford; the club is now based in the nearby Melbourne Sports and Entertainment Precinct in Melbourne, playing its home games at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and with its training and administrative base at Olympic Park Oval and the Holden Centre.
Collingwood’s home guernsey consists of black and white stripes, matching the colours of an Australian magpie. Throughout its history, the club has developed rivalries with cross-town Melbourne based clubs Carlton, Richmond and Essendon.
Collingwood Football Club News
- Is your coach under the pump? THE 2017 season is shaping up as a make or break one for a number of AFL coaches but who is under the most pressure heading into round 1?
- Elliott in the running for Round 1 COLLINGWOOD forward Jamie Elliott continued his positive progress towards the 2017 season but the Magpies play it safe with recruit Daniel Wells. SEE THE PICS FROM PIES TRAINING
- How many Giants are on your club’s list? THE joke about Carlton becoming the GWS reserves is well worn (but still funny). But they aren’t the only one — in fact, there is just one Melbourne club without a former expansion club player on its list.
- Hail the last-kick heroes of 2016 SAM Lloyd wasn’t the only player to live the dram and win a game off their own boot in 2016. And the matchwinning score often came from an unlikely source.
- ’I forgot what I’m good at’ MAGPIE Jordan De Goey was the buzz player of the 2016 pre-season, but things didn’t work out as they were supposed to. And he isn’t glossing over what went wrong.
- Who will be breakout players next year? ANOTHER year under the belt and another pre-season means several players will take a massive leap this year in 2017. See your club’s breakout contender
- Best 16 games of 2016 THERE were last-gasp thrillers and the upsets that no one saw coming. We look at the best games of 2016. HAVE YOUR SAY
- 16 best performances of 2016 LEATHER poisoning, bags of goals and match-winning efforts. Who turned in the best solo performances of 2016? HAVE YOUR SAY
- What your club must improve for 2017 THERE can be only one winner but each club will spend pre-season working on its shortcomings from last season. Here’s what your club needs to work on over summer.
- 13 best Victoria Park moments VICTORIA Park was the site of many classic Collingwood moments over more than 100 years but the biggest was when an opposition star took a stand that changed the game.
Collingwood Football Club FaceBook Posts